Thursday, July 4, 2019

Long Forgotten Fourths of July

July 4, 2019

I rarely think about my brief military career, but July 4 brings it to mind. It was on the first weekend of July, 1961, that I reported for training at Fort Dix, New Jersey, along with a busload of fellow reservists from Northwestern Connecticut.

I was supposedly 'in charge'. As the oldest recruit, with the most formal education, I had been given the temporary rank of 'Sergeant' complete with easily removable chevrons. Nobody listened to anything I had to say. It was a raucous bus ride that ended outside some run down WW 2 barracks which would be our 'home' for following eight weeks. We were hustled off the bus and chivvied into the barracks by the training sergeants, who took the opportunity to teach us some of the basics of Basic Training--like how to get into a line, and which foot was the left.

But we were left alone for most of the following day, the Fourth of July. In those happy days, even soldiers were allowed to enjoy the national celebration--unlike today's service members who must march through the heat and humidity of Washington D.C. to feed the ego of our contemptible Commander in Chief, 'Bonespurs' Trump.

It happened that one of the training sergeants was a black man named Sergeant Barker. He was delighted to greet me as I got off the bus, with my removable stripes. "Ah," he greeted me, "another Sergeant Barker..." From then on, although not in charge of my platoon, he took a 'familial' interest in my military career, sometimes addressing me with ironic courtesy  as 'Sergeant Barker'', although I was as miserable a recruit as any that ever served.

In those days (and I hope still today) the army selected its training sergeants from among the best it had to offer. Sgt. Barker was a veteran of the battle at the Chosin Reservoir. My own platoon sergeant, Sgt. Mastrovito, a small Italian man, not a great deal taller than his M-1 rifle, was also an admirable example--a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge--a first class leader and teacher, well able to turn recruits into something resembling soldiers.

At the end of Basic Training most of us were sent to Fort Sill for Basic Cannoneer Training. This course was run by Captain Wing, a Chinese-American officer, and his Battery 'top' Sergeant Rodrigues--who warned us all to remember that although born Mexican, he was "A U.S.Army citizen."

Again, he and the other artillery training sergeants were outstanding teachers and leaders who returned us to our Reserve Unit eight weeks later as reasonably competent artillerists. Several months later I returned to Ft. Sill for OCS training under Captain Dawson, a professional soldier, and his 'Tac Officers', Second Lieutenants, who had been outstanding graduates of an earlier OCS training cycle.

I was certainly not destined to be a soldier, but tutored by these men I came to realize that there was honor and satisfaction to be had in a military career. I admired them, and I still do. It has not escaped my notice that many of them were minorities. Contrary to those who mock the military and suggest that professional soldiers lack the qualities required for success, 'in the real world', I admire that great institution for nurturing and utilizing abilities which might otherwise have gone to waste in a less 'color-blind' civilian society.

I wonder what happened to them later.

I would not be surprised if Captain Wing became a general--and I dearly hope that Sergeant Rodrigues achieved his retirement dream of processing and selling Mexican food--which, in those long ago days, would have been a new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment